Sunday, January 8, 2012

Day 8 of 90

Today was another quiet day. Finished my last application, went to the Co-op, and made an awesome dinner that will be at least 3 meals this week. :) PLUS I MADE IT THRU 1 WEEK PALEO!!!

This afternoon I went to Honest Weight Co-op. Its a small place on Central Ave. I was looking specifically for coconut aminos so I could make my stir fry tonight, and saw that they had it online. So I figured it would be a good time to go wander through and see what all they had and how their prices compared to the other local grocery stores. It was great to see the co-op. They had a bulk section, a frozen meat section of all grass-fed stuff (which I picked up my first grassfed top sirloin), a veggie section, and the other processed food stuff. All natural organic stuff. Pretty cool. I did get like 10 button mushrooms for like 60 cents, and 4 apples for like 2.50. All in all, I liked it, and I'll go there for small things I might need, but I don't think that I will be making it my main grocery store. Here's their website if you want to find out some more information: http://honestweight.coop/

I also stopped at Hannaford on my way home, and their spaghetti squash is 99 cents a pound, not the 1.49 at The Fresh Market or the 1.99 at P-Chop. Take note all :)

Tonight I made Asian Shrimp Stir-Fry. Yum. And I put it on top of my favorite spaghetti squash. Total win :) Here's how I made it, and some pictures...

For the sauce:

Ingredients:
• 1 ½ tsp. sesame oil
• ½ tsp. minced garlic
• ½ tsp. minced ginger
• ½ cup organic/natural/gluten free Chicken Broth
• 1 tbsp coconut aminos
• 1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes
• ½ tsp. salt
• 1 Tbs. apple cider vinegar
• ¼ tsp. pepper
• 1 ½ tsp. lemon juice
• 1 ½ tsp. guar gum (a vegetable thickener that has about three times the power of cornstarch.
Whisk sauce briskly while slowly adding the guar gum)

Process:
1. Heat sesame oil in a small sauce pan. (Don't go too hot, and watch it, the sesame oil will burn,
and smell bad)
2. Add ginger and garlic and sautee over medium heat for a few seconds to bring out the flavors.
3. Add chicken broth, coconut aminos, red pepper flakes, salt, pepper, and lemon juice
and vinegar.
4. Bring just to a boil while stirring. Whisk vigorously while adding in guar gum in small amounts
until desired thickness.
5. Whisk until sauce reaches a full boil, then simmer for 30 seconds, remove from heat and set
aside. (Mine ended up a little thick so I added more chicken broth and aminos to thin it out
a little)


For the Stir-Fry:
1 pound of shrimp (I used raw, so I had to cook my shrimp first, if you use pre-cooked, do your
veggies first)
2 tbsp coconut oil
veggies: I used a zucchini, mushrooms, red bell pepper and green bell pepper, then added a frozen broccoli, carrot, water chestnut mix


1. Heat 1 tbsp of coconut oil, and cook shrimp until pink. Remove from pan.
2. Heat remaining coconut oil, add fresh and frozen veggies and saute until desired softness/until the frozen ones are cooked.
3. Add the shrimp back in to the pan
4. Add the sauce that you cooked above, stir, and I let it saute for about 5 more minutes on low heat to get all the flavors in.
I'm a spice junky, so I added Franks Red Hot after I plated it on top of the spaghetti squash.

Today was another rest day from CF. Tomorrow I'm back at it, and hopefully I'll be able to get back to 5 times a week rather than just 4 like last week.

Have a great week!!

No comments:

Post a Comment